Wednesday, September 11, 2013

3x5

Raymond Carver on writing. Wonderful stuff.
Isak Dinesen said that she wrote a little every day, without hope and without despair. Someday I'll put that on a three-by-five card and tape it to the wall beside my desk. I have some three-by-five cards on the wall now. ''Fundamental accuracy of statement is the ONE sole morality of writing.'' Ezra Pound. It is not everything by ANY means, but if a writer has ''fundamental accuracy of statement'' going for him, he's at least on the right track.

I have a three-by-five up there with this fragment of a sentence from a story by Chekhov: ''... and suddenly everything became clear to him.'' I find these words filled with wonder and possibility. I love their simple clarity, and the hint of revelation that is implied. There is a bit of mystery, too. What has been unclear before? Why is it just now becoming clear? What's happened? Most of all - what now? There are consequences as a result of such sudden awakenings. I feel a sharp sense of relief - and anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment