Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013: No Battle Plan Survives Contact with the Enemy

I'm not sure why I do this now and again, as it rarely lasts far into January, let alone much of the year...but here are my reading plans for 2013.

First "resolution", finish more of the books I'm currently reading and try not to start too many others that hang around!

For fiction, try to read several of the potential Hugo-nominees ahead of the mad rush to the vote.

In graphic novels, continue to get Stan Sakai, as they come back into print, and read them. Also, read the other various Sandman-related items that I have or have seen.

In history, I hope to read The History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides again, probably in edition edited by Robert B. Strassler, The Landmark Thucydides. After that, I hope to read Donald Kagan's single-volume The Peloponnesian War, followed by his four-volume in-depth examination of the same: The Outbreak of the Peloponnesian WarThe Archidamian WarThe Peace of Nicias and the Sicilian Expedition and The Fall of the Athenian Empire.

In literature, I hope to dabble in Things Arturian, ranging from Malory's Le Morte D'Arthur to Stewart's Merlin quartet to Sutcliff's The Sword at Sunset to Alfred Lord Tennyson's Idylls of the King. The first three will be re-reads, but most have not been read in years (if not decades). The fourth will be a first-time attempt. I blame Greg Stafford and his excellent Pendragon fantasy roleplaying game, which I hauled off the shelves during 2012 to look at. It awakened the dragon, again.

Beyond that? So many books, so little time, so many ex-lover's to bury. Heck, I have over 100 books in my "Current Reads 01" folder on my Kindle (and about 300 in my "Current Reads 02" folder). I'm not going to get bored, any time soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment